Multi record-breaking UK & Ireland touring production
Returns to Wales Millennium Centre for a strictly limited 4 week run
From Wednesday 31 October to Saturday 24 November 2018
Wicked, the West End and Broadway musical phenomenon that tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz, is delighted to confirm that its spectacular, multi record-breaking and critically acclaimed touring production will return to Wales Millennium Centre in 2018. One of the most successful productions in the venue’s history, Wicked was previously seen by over 90,000 people during its celebrated engagement in March/April 2014.
“A truly outstanding production” (South Wales Evening Post), Wicked returns for four weeks only from Wednesday 31 October to Saturday 24 November 2018. Tickets go on public sale on Monday 27 March, and are priced from £20.
Executive Producer Michael McCabe said: “We were overwhelmed by the incredible response from audiences and critics alike when we first brought Wicked to Cardiff for the Welsh premiere in 2014, and it is extraordinary to think that over 90,000 people came and saw us. The whole team at Wales Millennium Centre showed such tremendous enthusiasm and support, and we’re all really delighted to return to this stunning venue.”
Managing Director at Wales Millennium Centre, Mathew Milsom, said: “It is a pleasure to be bringing Wicked back to our stage next year. One of the smartest modern musicals, Wicked is packed full of show-stoppers, spectacular design, and certainly complements our varied programme for 2018. It is sure to be a highlight for musical-lovers and we look forward to welcoming the cast and crew back to Wales Millennium Centre.”
Acclaimed as “one of the greatest musicals of our time” (Daily Mail), “a magical mystery tour through the fantasyland of Oz” (London Evening Standard) and “one of the West End’s true modern classics” (Metro), Wicked tells the incredible untold story of an unlikely but profound friendship between two sorcery students and their extraordinary adventures in Oz, which will ultimately see them fulfil their destinies as Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch of the West. Based on the acclaimed, best-selling novel by Gregory Maguire that ingeniously re-imagines the stories and characters originally created by L. Frank Baum in ‘The Wonderful Wizard of Oz’, Wicked has become a global phenomenon featuring astounding technical wizardry, stunning costumes and show-stopping songs by three-time Academy Award winner Stephen Schwartz.
This spectacular production of Wicked, acclaimed by the Northern Echo as “the ultimate Broadway experience for theatre audiences all over the UK”, played a fifteen-city tour of the UK & Ireland from September 2013 – July 2015, winning five-star rave reviews at every venue. It resumed touring in July 2016 to embark on a major international tour including engagements in Singapore, Hong Kong, Manila, Shanghai and Beijing, before a much anticipated return to the UK & Ireland in 2018.
Wicked is already the 17th longest running show in West End theatre history and recently celebrated a decade of performances at London’s Apollo Victoria Theatre, where it continues an open-ended run. Around the world, Wicked has now been seen by over 50 million people in 15 countries, and won over 100 major awards.
Wicked has music and lyrics by multi Grammy and Academy Award-winner Stephen Schwartz (Godspell and Disney’s Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Enchanted) and is based on the acclaimed novel ‘Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West’ by Gregory Maguire and adapted for the stage by Winnie Holzman. Musical staging is by Tony Award-winner Wayne Cilentoand the production is directed by two-time Tony Award-winner Joe Mantello.
Wicked is produced around the world by Marc Platt, Universal Stage Productions, The Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone. Executive Producer (UK/International Tour) Michael McCabe.
Casting for the 2018 UK & Ireland Tour is to be announced.
WICKED IN NUMBERS
- WICKED was seen by over 90,000 people in its first visit to Wales Millennium Centre in 2014.
- By the time this acclaimed production of WICKED returns to Cardiff it will have travelled almost 12 thousand miles (by road, sea and air) since its debut in Manchester on 12 September 2013.
- Almost 1.5 million theatregoers have seen this production to date.
- This “thrilling theatrical experience” (Metro) features 350 stunning costumes, 140 wigs, 244 pairs of shoes, 110 hats, 125 pairs of gloves and 30 prosthetic masks.
- It takes 100 people, both on-stage and behind the scenes, to delivery every single performance of this gigantic touring production that has been acclaimed as “every bit the West End show” (The Public Reviews).
WICKED AROUND THE WORLD
- WICKED has been seen by over 50 million people across over 100 cities in 15 countries.
- WICKED is already the 17th longest running show in London theatre history and now one of the top five longest running musicals currently playing in the West End.
- WICKED recently celebrated its 10th Anniversary in the West End, and has played over 4000 performances at the Apollo Victoria Theatre, where it continues an open-ended run.
- WICKED has won over 100 major awards including 3 Tony Awards, 6 Drama Desk Awards, 2 Olivier Audience Awards, 9 WhatsOnStage Awards, an Evening Standard Theatre Award and a Grammy Award.
- WICKED was also recently named as the ‘Best Theatre Production for Schools’ at the School Travel Awards.
Official website: www.WickedTheMusical.co.uk